Popular Posts

November 08, 2010

Spackle & Paint Wall Cabinet Art

So this project was one of those that was supposed to turn out one way and went a totally different direction...
...but I actually love how it turned out.
I fell in love with this post and the finish she did with it.
I attempted to do something similar but they don't quite resemble one another :)
Oh well.
Here's how mine went...
I started with this fantastic cabinet door... I loved the design etched into the wood but it had two of them so I spackled one up to smooth it out.
Once that dried, I used the fabulous Krypton paint from my master bath redo. to paint the innter portion of the cabinet. 
This is where it got wonky :)
I used spackling and layered it on around the outer edge of the whole door... pretty thick and chunky but I wanted it to have texture so I didn't smooth it out.


I let that dry overnight so it could set well.
Here it is so far:

Then it went iffy from here.
I wanted more of a crackle effect on it but nothing I was trying to use worked.
I painted acrylic brown over the top and HATED how it looked with all the white covered up. It looked dingy and gross actually. :) Yucky combination.
So I just went a little crazy and decided to try and sand it down with my hand sander.
The white popped out and it sanded the texture down so that it had a smoother surface but still a wavy effect.

I liked that a lot better.
I ended up wiping a little glaze on it to tone down the white then I put a gloss varnish over it which made it just shine :)
It took me a few days, but I ended up loving the result.
Very, very different...

I used vinyl and my Cricut to cut the saying out then just stuck it on... I distressed it a little as well.

My husband likes that it almost has a driftwood effect.
Interesting...
Totally not what I expected...
...but I think I"m okay with that. :)

It's incredibly solid too...

I ended up hanging it in the master bath.
What do you think?
I think I'm in love.
Hope you're all having a great Monday!
(is there such a thing?)

signature

Linking too:





7 comments:

  1. SUUUUUper cute!!!! I was a little "ooooh...I don't know about this..." when I saw the spackle! But I LOVE the way it turned out!!!! Great job! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to salvage a project that goes haywire! I love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I would love for you to come link that in my Strut Your Stuff Party! http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/strut-your-stuff-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a clever project! Kudos to you for thinking outside of the box and creating such a nice item.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I found you over at the blog hop and I'm your newest follower! Come by Sassy Sites! xoxo

    www.sassysites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. A girl after my own heart. I used to have a box, no maybe a shed full of projects that didn't quite turn out right. But I hand it to you for making this look so cute! Love it!

    Would love for you to link up this weekend to Passion for Paint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. neat idea! I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day!!! I'd love for you to leave me some love and make me smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails